In Class 1 we have provided each year group with a pack of paper activities to practice skills while the school is closed; please try and do some work from them each day.
It would also be useful to spend a little time each day on the following:
- IXL skills.
- Phonics and spelling.
- Writing - keep a journal diary of what you do each day, or write a poem, story or letter.
- Some daily exercise/outside play in the garden.
If you need to contact Mrs Shaw regarding homework, please message: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a better understanding of how to support your children with their reading and writing, then you can take a free course in the Sounds-Write Phonics Program that we use in school.
Follow this link to enrol on the Help Your Child to Read and Write course - part 1
This link will take you to the Help Your Child to Read and Write course - part 2
You can share books from your own bookshelves. Parents can read the book and encourage children to read as much of the text as they can, even if it is just the odd word or sentence.
Encourage the children to write a book review and draw pictures of their favourite characters.
Phonics and spelling
Go back over your child's spellings and check they can still spell them.
Go back over and read their keywords together to consolidate them.
For Reception children it can be a couple of simple sentences. For Year 1 and Year 2 try to practice all the skills you have been taught this year (capital letters, full stops, exclamation and question marks, adjectives, expanded noun phrases, similes).
We are about to learn about writing instructions, so why not play a game or make something. Write a set of instructions to tell others how to do it.
Other things you could do
- Twinkl.co.uk is offering parents a subscription for a month and they have online books and games. There is also a parents section.
- Prepare for Year 1 phonics check, playing Twinkl Go interactive phonics games for nonsense words:
- Visit ictgames.co.uk to help support Maths and English:
English games: Tell a T-rex, Poop Deck Pirates, Dinosaur Eggs High-Frequency Words, Forest phonics
These all practice reading words using phonics. Pick from sounds that your child has in their sound packets, moving on to new sounds if needed.
Viking Full Circle is the same as our Sound Swap game. Year 1 and 2 can use the Look, Cover, Write, Check spelling game, picking from their year group.
Maths games: Shark Numbers, Whack a Mole, Duck Shoot, Counting Caterpillar, Save the Whale, Balloon Flight, Part Part Whole, Funky Mummy, Times Tables for Year 1 and 2 (2s, 5s, 10s and beyond)
- Hit the Button - Practice with Maths number facts
- 10 science experiments every child should do at least once.
- Author Oliver Jeffers will be reading his books on Instagram each day, live at 6pm.
- PE and exercise: try and spend an hour doing something physical each day, as well as getting some fresh air. Ride your bike, play in your garden, kick a ball, play catch, skip or set up a circuit of activities/obstacle course.
- Joe Wicks - The Body Coach does 5-minute Moves for Kids if you are stuck indoors.
- Let’s Move dance radio – listen and get moving, choosing from Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, Minibeasts and Under the Sea
- English and Maths to movement
- Colouring and Easter/Spring activities
We have also been given the following list of useful sites:
This site is old and no longer updated and yet there's so much still available, from language learning to BBC Bitesize for revision. No TV licence required except for content on BBC iPlayer.
Oxford Owl for Home
Lots of free resources for Primary age
Learn computer programming skills - fun and free.
Creative computer programming
All sorts of engaging educational videos
National Geographic Kids
Activities and quizzes for younger kids.
Learn languages for free. Web or app.
Free science lessons
The Kids Should See This
Wide range of cool educational videos
Listening activities for the younger ones.
A lot of these can be done in a garden, or if you can get to a remote forest location!
Red Ted Art
Easy arts and crafts for little ones
DK Find Out
Activities and quizzes